Soups are an essential appetiser and the best companion for iftar while breaking fast. It is warm and a great introduction to your stomach after a long day of not eating. At Okadoc, we have a vegetarian lentil soup that is perfect for iftar.
Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentil soup is a recipe famous in the Middle East, it’s very light and tastes fresh along with lemon juice and parsley
This soup is fast and easy to make and only requires a few staple ingredients. Most important of all, it’s very healthy.
Vegetarian Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 1¼ cup of split red lentils
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2.5 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
How to make Vegetarian Lentil Soup
- Rinse and soak 1¼ cups of split red lentils in cool water for 15-20 minutes.
- While the lentils are soaking, cut half a cup each of onion, celery, carrots, and two cloves of garlic.
- Heat up one teaspoon of oil in a large pot.
- After the pot has heated up, Add the onions, celery, and carrots, then saute over medium heat for seven to ten minutes until they have softened and become slightly translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add in the bay leaf, cumin powder, turmeric, drained lentils, chicken stock, and water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils have softened.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Blend the soup to your desired consistency.
- Season with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
It is essential to keep your health in check during the fasting month to make sure you are energised while doing your daily routine. Lentil soup is one of the healthiest meal you can cook at home to break the fast.
For more information about healthy diet ask our nutritionist, you can now book doctor’s appointment online at Okadoc.
More from Recipe
Food allergy affects an estimated 6 to 8 percent of children and 4 percent of adults. Learn about the food allergies, symptoms and its risks here.
Coconut water has abundance health benefits for our body. But, you should never replace your water intake with coconut water because it might harm your health.
From symptoms to prevention options, let’s find useful information to help you understand and cope with osteoporosis here!