Quinoa has been named several times as the most excellent alternative to rice. Quinoa gained its popularity not only in its native origin but also around the world.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is an ancient whole grain that tastes nutty and chewy when boiled. It comes from a seed-like plant called goosefoot. It was first consumed by the Andean people in South America around 4,000 years ago.
Quinoa provides numerous health benefits, and it has a high protein content. While it is known as the alternative to rice, it also serves as a healthy alternative to meat products. Due to the many nutrient benefits, quinoa has grown to be popular and even cooked with many different dishes.
Quinoa Mujadara is one of the most popular ways of serving the grain. Originated from the Middle Eastern area, Mujadara consists of lentils and rice. Mujadara is known to maintain your cholesterol level while it consists of complete fibres, proteins, and iron.
Here is how you make an easy and quick Quinoa Mujadara.
Quinoa Mujadara ingredients
- 5 cups of brown or green lentils
- 5 cups of quinoa
- 2 – 3 large onions, cut thin
- 5 teaspoons of cumin powder
- One red onion
- One cucumber
- 2 – 3 tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- Two lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Two bay leaves
- Chopped parsley and mint (optional)
- Rinse and strain the lentils to sieve unwanted stones from the lentils
- Heat 4 cups of water and the lentils until they are cooked. If you are cooking bigger lentils, it takes around 8 – 10 minutes to cook. However, smaller lentils take longer to cook approximately 15 – 20 minutes. (remember not to add salt during this step as it will slow the cooking process)
- Strain the cooked lentils and keep the water in a separate cup
- Rinse the quinoa for about 2 minutes and dry it
- Heat two tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil and add the cooked lentils with cumin powder, one teaspoon of salt and pepper
- Add the quinoa and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Boil the water that was used to cook the lentils and add the mix of lentils and quinoa. Boil until the water is fully incorporated into the lentils and quinoa
- In a frying pan, heat two teaspoons of olive oil and saute the cut onions until it caramelised into golden brown
- Add the sauteed onions to the quinoa and mix them gently
- Cut cucumber and tomatoes into cubes
- Chop the red onion and combine with the cubed cucumber and the tomatoes
- Add lemon juice to the red onions, cucumber, and tomatoes and serve them as the salad
- Voila, serve the quinoa and the salad
The cooking process takes a maximum of 45 minutes, and it is perfect for an everyday meal. Check the Okadoc blog to find more healthy recipes for your diet plan.
World Health Organization has included gaming disorder as part of mental illness. Let’s find out more about this issue here!
Poor body image can lead you to low self-esteem. That is not good idea to let others control how you feel about your body. Learn more about body image here!
If you wish to travelling abroad with your family or alone, here are vaccinations before travelling that you need to consider to take.
Are you looking to have glowing skin? We all know how frustating the process can be, but You might try these 10 tips at home!