It is a widely known fact that Sambar is a traditional and olf dish originating from South India. However, if you read into the history of Sambar, it is a dish that was created by Thanjavur Maratha ruler Shahuji, which the kingdom was ruling in Western India.
- Healthy Middle Eastern Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- Vegetarian Iftar Recipe: Lentil Soup
- Keto Mediterranean Steak Pinwheels Recipe
Today, Sambar is very popular throughout India and Mediterranean cuisines.
What is Sambar?
Sambar / Sambhar itself is a vegetarian stew that is made of toor dal (pigeon pea), vegetables, and lentils. It is commonly eaten with side dishes such as rice, dosa, idli, and vada, although it may vary depending on the region.
Here is the recipe to homemade Sambar:
- 1/2 cups of pigeon peas
- 1/4 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp of split chickpeas
- 1 tbsp black lentils
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 10 red chillis
- 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon black lentils
- 1 teaspoon split chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 2 red chillis
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 20 shallots (uncut)
- 1 large tomato
- 6 eggplants
- 1 drumstick (cut)
- 1 cup of tamarind puree
Toor Dal (pigeon peas):
- Rinse the Toor Dal with water
- Cook Toor Dal in a bowl of water and add the turmeric powder
- Cook in medium heat with closed lid
- Roast the split chickpeas & black lentils in a frying pan without oil
- Add coriander seeds
- Add black pepper and red chillis
- Add shredded coconut. Stir & roast the spices well
- Grind the roasted spices until they create fine powders
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add the black lentils, split chickpeas, and Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida, shallots (peeled)
- Sautee until the oil is well coated to the shallots
- Chop tomatoes
- Add to the pan and sautee
- Cut the eggplants in halves and add to the pan
- Add the drumsticks
- Mix them in the pan well
- Season with salt and turmeric powder
- Pour the tamarind puree, set to boil
- Add 1 cup of water and let boil for 15 minutes
- Add the cooked Toor Dal and stir
- Add in another 2 cups of water and let boil for 10 minutes
- Add 2 tablespoon of the Sambar Powders and let boil for another 5 minutes
You can serve the Sambar soup with selected side dishes. Sambar has many health benefits including very rich protein and it is high on fibers with antioxidants punch.
Enjoy the delicacy!
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
While some might consider snacking a good option, others may benefit from having three or fewer meals per day. Discover the guide to healthy snacking.
Shea butter is an effective ingredient known for its high content of fatty acids and vitamins. It has several beauty and medical benefits. Read to know more
You’ve probably heard of high-intensity interval training (HIIT), but what precisely does it entail and why are so many people talking about it?