Ketogenic diet or keto for short is an excellent way for weight loss. It offers many health benefits and recommended by Okadoc and globally.
It’s an eating plan that drives your body into ketosis, a state where your body uses fat instead of carbohydrate as a primary fuel source. During keto, the majority of calories you consume will come from fat with little protein.
- Eggplant: Benefits & Eggplants Based Dishes
- Proven Health Benefits of Banana
- Health Benefits of Honeydew Melon
By cutting carb intake significantly, you can reduce insulin resistance that usually triggers the type 2 diabetes. Doing a keto diet can also increase your caloric deficit and make you lose fat faster.
Take note however that keto diet will require you to adjust to the menu. For the first two weeks, you will feel some headache, fatigue and even gastrointestinal issues. Don’t worry, because that’s part of the phase.
What you need is a proper keto meal plan to correct most of those issues. The keto diet plan is designed to make sure you get three healthy meals a day with balanced fat, fibre, and protein intakes.
Food Recommended on a Keto Diet
Here is the food list recommended by Okadoc on a keto diet menu:
- Vegetables: Cucumbers, broccoli, asparagus, leafy greens.
- Fruits: Avocado, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.
- Meat: Chicken, beef, lamb, goat, turkey, veal.
- Fish: Tuna, salmon, sardines, trout, etc.
- Dairy products: Sour cream, Greek yoghurt, cheese.
- Fats and oils: Butter, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, sesame, walnuts, sunflower.
- Herbs and spices: Pepper, thyme, paprika, oregano, cayenne.
Food to Avoid on a Keto Diet
To ensure you get the most out of your keto diet, you also need to avoid these food below:
- Processed food: Milk, cheese, yoghurt, frozen dinners, tinned food.
- Starch: Corn, oats, wheat, bread, pasta.
- Sugar: Fruits, sports drinks, vitamin waters, cookies, cakes, doughnuts.
A 7 Day Sample Menu for Keto Diet
The key to having a successful keto diet lies in your keto diet menu. For first-timers, this can be very tricky because you’re still trying to figure out what’s best for your body and what’s not. So, here’s a 7-day sample keto meal plans to help you get started on your keto journey!
- Breakfast: Beef bacon and 2-3 fried eggs.
- Lunch: Spinach salad.
- Dinner: Grilled shrimp with lemon butter.
- Breakfast: Cheese and vegetable omelette.
- Lunch: Sashimi with miso soup.
- Dinner: Roasted chicken with sautéed mushrooms and asparagus.
- Breakfast: Hard-boiled eggs and bulletproof coffee.
- Lunch: Tuna salad and tomatoes.
- Dinner: Meatballs on zucchini noodles.
- Breakfast: Unsweetened yoghurt mixed with chia seeds, walnuts, raspberries, and sour cream.
- Lunch: Baked salmon with broccoli.
- Dinner: Meatloaf.
- Breakfast: Omelet, spinach, and mushroom.
- Lunch: Taco salad.
- Dinner: Beef patties with a slice of cheese, served with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Eggs scrambled with vegetables.
- Lunch: Sardine salad with mayo and avocado.
- Dinner: Sautéed bok choy and broiled trout with butter.
- Breakfast: Vegetable omelette and cheese.
- Lunch: Chicken tenders cooked with almond flour.
- Dinner: Baked tofu with broccoli, peppers and cauliflower rice.
Now that you know the 7-day sample menu of keto meal plans, we hope you’re ready to embark on your keto diet journey. The best part of low carb eating is that you can still have tasty food while trying to lose weight.
For more information regarding keto diet or more diet plans, consult one of our many dieticians and nutritionists on Okadoc and make a booking!
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Mental health is a growing concern all over the world. Let’s talk about the importance of our mental wellbeing, what to do to improve it and what to avoid.
Read all the information that you need to know about the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, its efficiency, eligibility and possible side effects.
Discover all the information you need to know about the AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine, its efficiency, eligibility and possible side effects.