Watermelon is a fantastic fruit to have, especially during warmer days. They have an abundance of vitamins and minerals and essential nutrients for the body.
What makes it such a unique fruit is its high water content. It is said that watermelon is made up of 92% water content. By consuming watermelon, you won’t have any problems staying hydrated, especially in the heat of the UAE.
- 10 Foods That May Help Prevent Breast Cancer
- 10 Super Fruits that Will Boost Your Health Magically
- 13 Must Known Health Benefit of Dates
Now the question is, is it good for you? And the answer is, yes. You also need to be aware that there are some things about watermelon that may not be so beneficial to health.
But to be fair, this all depends on how much and when you eat it. It ‘isn’t recommended to have watermelon late at night and just like all things with health, too much of it ‘won’t be good for you.
With that being said, let’s go through some of the benefits and not so beneficial facts about watermelon for health.
Benefits of Watermelon
- Watermelon has one of the lowest-calorie counts of all fruits. A standard serve of watermelon (1 cup, 154 grams) only contains 46 calories. ‘That’s even lower than low sugar fruits such as berries. Because of its high water profile, not only are you keeping your calorie intake at a low, but it also helps you feel and stay fuller for longer.
- Maintains Hydration. No matter what diet you have, drinking water is essential. However, on some days and certain circumstances, ‘it’s hard to reach the recommended 6 to 12 glasses per day. ‘That’s where watermelon can come in perfectly. As its 92% of water, it provides the same hydration benefits that water does. Hydration is important for skin, organ and brain health.
- Promotes Skin Health. There is an abundance of vitamins A and C. These vitamins help promote skin as well as hair health. Vitamin C contains an antioxidant that combats and counters the damage of free radicals, making watermelon the perfect fruit for summertime.
- May Prevent Cancer. A study in 2014 by researchers suggested that watermelon may contain properties that can help prevent cancer in people. Watermelon contains the compounds lycopene. Though lycopene intake is associated with a lower risk of some types of cancer, study results are mixed.
- May Lower Inflammation and Oxidative Stress. Watermelon contains Lycopene and vitamin C. They are considered anti-inflammatory antioxidants. Inflammation is linked to many chronic diseases and watermelon may be able to improve its symptoms. However, much more research needs to be able to conclude this.
Side Effects of Too Much Watermelon
- Low Blood Pressure. If you suffer from low blood pressure, try not to overeat watermelon as it is known to decrease blood pressure significantly.
- Bloating. Just because watermelon is low in calorie, doesn’t mean ‘it’s a great idea to overload on them. As they are rich in potassium, they can cause digestive problems and severe bloating.
- Digestive problems. As watermelons are rich in Lycopene, this is known to cause tension on intestines and the stomach. This can lead to nausea, stomach aches, passing gas and abdominal cramps.
The Final Verdic
Watermelons are extremely good for your health. It is suitable for people of all ages and health conditions. Whether ‘you’re trying to lose weight, have a snack or beat the UAE heat, watermelon is the way to go.
But we can conclude in this article, that having too much watermelon ‘isn’t such a great idea. No matter how good it is or how much you love it, like every other food in life, we need to limit it. The recommended serving per day for the average adults is 1 cup.
A perfect way to limit your watermelon intake is to have it with a mix of other fruits. That way, you’re not depriving or overloading on any other nutrients.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
ADHD is most commonly found in children to young adults. But what is it exactly? What are the symptoms & how to treat the disorder?
Let’s try these yoga poses right from the comfort of your bed, before you leave your bed in the morning. It will give you an energy boost at the start of your day.
No matter if you are wearing a fabric face mask or medical mask when in the public, skin irritation can happen. Let’s find out how to avoid it!