If you are looking for the perfect Mediterranean dish for your Iftar menu, fret not! This Koshari dish might be your solution. Originally invented from Egypt, Koshari mixes lentils, pasta and rice. It is affordable yet fulfilling.
Here is the full recipe on how to create Koshari at home:
- 2 cups of macaroni pasta (elbow pasta)
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ¼ cup vermicelli
- 1 cup of rice
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (2)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ tablespoons of coriander powder (2)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin powder (3)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oil (to cook)
- Bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 2 ½ cups of tomato paste
- Cilantro leaves
- Mix vinegar, cumin powder, salt, coriander powder, sugar and lemon juice together
- Boil elbow pasta in boiling water that has been mixed with 1 ½ tbsp of salt
- Soak the brown lentils in water
- Rinse the rice
- Heat oil in a bowl on a medium heat
- Add the lentils and stir
- Add vermicelli
- Add the rice and season with salt and pepper
- Stir together and add 3.5 cups of water
- In the bowl, season with ½ teaspoon of cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Cook in medium heat for 10 minutes until the rice is tender
- Leave the bowl on low heat and cover the bowl for another 10 – 12 minutes
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Cut the onion in a cube
- Chop the garlic
- Add bay leaf
- Add ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Add the cut onion
- Add chopped garlic
- Add green chilli for taste (optional)
- Sautee all in frying pan until it’s soft and golden brown
- Add the tomato paste
- Add ½ tablespoon of coriander powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Season with salt
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Leave on low heat with the pan covered for another 5 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro leaves
For serving, you can scoop the koshari and mix with the vinegar or serve the vinegar separately. Add the cooked pasta on the top layer then pour the tomato paste for taste.
You can add boiled chickpeas and crispy fried onions if you prefer. Fried onions add crunchiness to the koshari. For finishing, you can garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Heart disease is one of major diseases affecting people all over the world. You can lower your risk of heart disease by changing the factors you can control.
Frozen shoulder can be troublesome because it can limit your daily movement. Let’s find out more about this condition here.
Anaemia is the most common blood disorder. Let’s find out more about this disease and how we can prevent ourself from getting it.