If you are looking for the perfect Mediterranean dish for your Iftar menu, fret not! This Koshari dish might be your solution. Originally invented from Egypt, Koshari mixes lentils, pasta and rice. It is affordable yet fulfilling.
- Delicious Middle Eastern Iftar Recipes With A Healthy Twist
- How to Make Ice Cream at Home
- Homemade Sambar Recipe
Here is the full recipe on how to create Koshari at home:
- 2 cups of macaroni pasta (elbow pasta)
- ½ cup brown lentils
- ¼ cup vermicelli
- 1 cup of rice
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (2)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ tablespoons of coriander powder (2)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin powder (3)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon of oil (to cook)
- Bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 2 ½ cups of tomato paste
- Cilantro leaves
- Mix vinegar, cumin powder, salt, coriander powder, sugar and lemon juice together
- Boil elbow pasta in boiling water that has been mixed with 1 ½ tbsp of salt
- Soak the brown lentils in water
- Rinse the rice
- Heat oil in a bowl on a medium heat
- Add the lentils and stir
- Add vermicelli
- Add the rice and season with salt and pepper
- Stir together and add 3.5 cups of water
- In the bowl, season with ½ teaspoon of cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Cook in medium heat for 10 minutes until the rice is tender
- Leave the bowl on low heat and cover the bowl for another 10 – 12 minutes
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Cut the onion in a cube
- Chop the garlic
- Add bay leaf
- Add ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Add the cut onion
- Add chopped garlic
- Add green chilli for taste (optional)
- Sautee all in frying pan until it’s soft and golden brown
- Add the tomato paste
- Add ½ tablespoon of coriander powder
- Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Season with salt
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Leave on low heat with the pan covered for another 5 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro leaves
For serving, you can scoop the koshari and mix with the vinegar or serve the vinegar separately. Add the cooked pasta on the top layer then pour the tomato paste for taste.
You can add boiled chickpeas and crispy fried onions if you prefer. Fried onions add crunchiness to the koshari. For finishing, you can garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
With more kids going back to in-person classes this year, with the COVID-19 Delta variant on the rise, this year’s back-to-school won’t be as usual.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Hunger is a natural signal to your body that it needs more food. There are many explanations why you constantly feel hungry, read more to discover them.
Some women have little or no problems during their periods, while others have different menstrual disorders due to many causes. Learn more about this topic.