Healthy Middle Eastern Chicken Shawarma Recipe
What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is one of the world’s most famous street food, originated from the Middle Eastern. It is a dish of lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or mixed meats are placed on a spit and grilled. Shawarma is usually served on a plate with accompaniments, or as a sandwich or wrap.
Shawarma is usually eaten with a side dish, such as tabbouleh, fattoush, taboon bread and vegetables. The toppings include the healthy tahini and hummus.
This Mediterranean food can be cooked at home for an easy dinner, and it is healthy. Keep reading for the recipe!
How to Make Chicken Shawarma
Chicken Shawarma Ingredients:
- ¾ tbsp ground cloves
- ¾ tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tbsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp ground cumin
- ¾ tbsp ground coriander
- ¾ tbsp paprika
- ⅓ extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Eight chicken thighs fillets (or breasts; boneless, skinless, thinly cut)
- One onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Tahini sauce or Greek Tzatziki sauce
- Kalmata olives or pickles (to taste and optional)
- Six pita pockets
- Baby arugula
- Mediterranean salad
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
For preparations, marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours, or better, overnight. If you don’t have time you can skip the marinating time and it’s still going to taste good.
- For the Shawarma spice mix, mix the cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, paprika and cloves in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt on both sides, slice thinly to bite-size.
- Mix the chicken and the Shawarma spice mix in a large bowl, coat evenly. Add the onions, lemon juice and olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or better, overnight. Skip this step if you don’t have marinating time.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit in room temperature for a few minutes.
- Spread the marinated chicken with onions on a large lightly olive oiled baking sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, prepare the servings.
- To serve the dish, open pita pockets up. Spread a small amount of tahini sauce or tzatziki sauce. Add chicken Shawarma, arugula, Mediterranean salad and others (pickles and olives) according to your taste.
Chicken Shawarma is best eaten while still warm. A homemade Middle Eastern chicken Shawarma is a healthy and natural choice for family dinner or can be served for a party appetiser in a smaller portion.
Don’t forget to check the Okadoc blog for more healthy lifestyle tips and the Okadoc app for a simple, efficient and seamless healthcare experience!
More from Healthy Lifestyle:
Hearth health is something you have to be serious about. It is time to change your poor lifestyle habits that are negatively affecting your own health.
As one of popular sports in the world, there are many reasons why playing basketball is good for health. Let’s check them out here!
Even if keto diet take the world by storm, before you considering this diet, let’s find out about the side effects of keto diet first!
Never underestimate the importance of having healthy work-life balance even if you have high paying position. Health must come first!