Shawarma is one of the world’s most famous street food, originated from the Middle Eastern. It is a dish of lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or mixed meats are placed on a spit and grilled. Shawarma is usually served on a plate with accompaniments, or as a sandwich or wrap.
- Delicious Middle Eastern Iftar Recipes With A Healthy Twist
- How to Make Ice Cream at Home
- Homemade Sambar Recipe
Shawarma is usually eaten with a side dish, such as tabbouleh, fattoush, taboon bread and vegetables. The toppings include the healthy tahini and hummus.
This Mediterranean food can be cooked at home for an easy dinner, and it is healthy. Keep reading for the recipe!
How to Make Chicken Shawarma
Chicken shawarma ingredients:
- ¾ tbsp ground cloves
- ¾ tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tbsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp ground cumin
- ¾ tbsp ground coriander
- ¾ tbsp paprika
- ⅓ extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Eight chicken thighs fillets (or breasts; boneless, skinless, thinly cut)
- One onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Tahini sauce or Greek Tzatziki sauce
- Kalmata olives or pickles (to taste and optional)
- Six pita pockets
- Baby arugula
- Mediterranean salad
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
For preparations, marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours, or better, overnight. If you don’t have time you can skip the marinating time and it’s still going to taste good.
- For the Shawarma spice mix, mix the cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, paprika and cloves in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt on both sides, slice thinly to bite-size.
- Mix the chicken and the Shawarma spice mix in a large bowl, coat evenly. Add the onions, lemon juice and olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or better, overnight. Skip this step if you don’t have marinating time.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit in room temperature for a few minutes.
- Spread the marinated chicken with onions on a large lightly olive oiled baking sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, prepare the servings.
- To serve the dish, open pita pockets up. Spread a small amount of tahini sauce or tzatziki sauce. Add chicken Shawarma, arugula, Mediterranean salad, and others (pickles and olives) according to your taste.
Chicken Shawarma is best eaten while still warm. A homemade Middle Eastern chicken Shawarma is a healthy and natural choice for family dinner or can be served as a party appetizer in a smaller portion.
With more kids going back to in-person classes this year, with the COVID-19 Delta variant on the rise, this year’s back-to-school won’t be as usual.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Recently, the number of monkeypox infections has increased worldwide, making it a source of concern for many individuals for fear of becoming the next global epidemic.
Hunger is a natural signal to your body that it needs more food. There are many explanations why you constantly feel hungry, read more to discover them.
Some women have little or no problems during their periods, while others have different menstrual disorders due to many causes. Learn more about this topic.