(source: One Arab Vegan) Samosa is one of the Ramadan classics; you can find it in most homes for iftar. Samosa is usually filled with spiced potatoes, onions, peas, lentils, macaroni, noodles, cheese and minced lamb or minced beef. However, for you vegans, Okadoc have the perfect recipe for a gluten-free vegan samosa, that is not only great for Ramadan iftars but also all year around.
Gluten-free vegan samosa ingredients
- Rice paper sheets
- One medium potato, peeled and mashed
- One small onion, finely chopped
- One clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup peas and carrots
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp organic coconut oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½-1 tsp curry powder
- Salt and black pepper
Gluten-free vegan samosa recipe
- Prepare the filling. In a medium pot, heat coconut oil, then add the cumin, coriander and curry powder along with the onion.
- Sautee until translucent before adding in the peas and carrots.
- Stir on medium heat for a few more minutes. Add in the mashed potato and turmeric. Mix well and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Set aside the filling to cool.
- Prepare the rice paper sheets with a large shallow tray with lukewarm water. Soak each sheet in the water on each side for a few seconds. Cut the sheet in half before the sheet goes completely soft.
- Spoon the filling 1-2 tsp into the corner of each sheet and fold in alternating directions to make a triangle, then roll the loose edges to seal.
- To cook, bake in a pre-heated oven or grill (180 C) until slightly golden and crispy. Before putting it into the oven, brush with a tiny bit of coconut oil to avoid sticking.
- Your samosa is ready!
It is best for the samosa to be eaten immediately because if left too long, the rice paper will lose its crispness.
Lung cancer is one of the most common cancer in the UAE and also the world. Let’s find out more about it here and how to prevent yourself from getting it!
Plant-based diet has become a hot topics nowadays. What you should know about this type of diet? Find it out here!
Chicken is one of the most available and common foods you can get worldwide. And what makes it popular isn’t […]