Breathing exercise is a very effective method to reduce stress and anxiety. When you are stressed or having a panic attack, your body tends to breathe faster out of reflects. Excessive oxygen can make you feel suffocated and in return, creates more stress and panic.
- Fitness and Fasting: Exercise Tips During Ramadan
- 7 Workout Tips For The Beginners
- 6 Science-Supported Benefits of Yoga
Here are 5 breathing exercise techniques to help you feel calmer and more relaxed:
1. Diaphragmatic breathing
The most important thing about this technique is to properly use the diaphragm breathe. Here are how you do diaphragmatic breathing:
- Lie on your back with your knees slightly bent. You can put a pillow under your knees
- Place one hand on the upper abdomen just below the chest
- Place the other hand on the chest
- Breathe in slowly through the nose and tighten the abdominal muscles
- The hand on the chest should stay still
- Feel the stomach rises with the other as you inhale and vice versa
2. Lion’s breath
Lion’s breath or Simhasana Pranayama is a well-known yoga breathing technique that helps relieve stress. If this is the first time you’re trying the technique, do not fret. Here are how to properly do the lion’s breath exercise:
- Sit with your knees folded in, so your glutes are on top of the feet
- Place the palm of your hands on your kneecaps with your fingers spread
- Breath in deeply through your nose while keeping your mouth open
- When you feel that you can not breathe in anymore, exhale through your mouth while making “ha” sound
- Bring your focus towards the third eye position (between the eyes) or the tip of your nose as you exhale
3. Breath focus
This technique requires your imagination of words that induce happiness, relaxation, and peacefulness. Here are the steps to practice breath focus:
- Find a secluded place where you can concentrate on your mind
- Practice deep breathing or diaphragmatic breathing for 1-2 minutes
- Place your hand on your belly and feel it rising and falling with each breath
- Exhale with a sigh
- Now, you can start with the phrase or word of your choice and slowly say it while inhaling. For example, while inhaling, you can say “inhaling peacefulness and joy”
- With each exhale, say what you want to dispose of. For example, “exhaling stress and worries”
- Repeat this for 4-5 minutes while focusing on the phrase and your breathing
4. Muscle relaxation
Progressive muscle relaxation or muscle relaxation is a method that is used to release tension and anxiety by being physically relaxed. This technique can also be used to help with sleeping problems.
Here are how you do a progressive muscle relaxation technique:
- Sit in the most comfortable position
- Plan your muscle group from your lower body to upper body
- As you breathe in, tighten the whole muscle in one muscle group
- When you breathe out, relax the muscle group altogether and not gradually
- Give yourself a 10-second rest in between each flex and change the muscle group
- Work out the muscle groups alternatively from your lower body to the upper body
5. Equal breathing
The other name of this technique is called Vritti in Sanskrit. It is one of the most basic techniques in yoga breathing exercises. How to start doing equal breathing?
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie on your back
- Slowly breathe in and out as normal
- Learn the process of your breathing
- Concentrate your mind as you count to 4 while you inhale the oxygen
- Give yourself a slight pause as to how normal breathing does
- Exhale while counting to 4
- Pause again before continuing to inhale
When To Consult A Doctor?
If you try these techniques at home and seek professional help if anxiety and stress persist.
Go to Okadoc.com or download our mobile app, and choose your preferred method of meeting your Mental Health practitioner.
With more kids going back to in-person classes this year, with the COVID-19 Delta variant on the rise, this year’s back-to-school won’t be as usual.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Hunger is a natural signal to your body that it needs more food. There are many explanations why you constantly feel hungry, read more to discover them.
Some women have little or no problems during their periods, while others have different menstrual disorders due to many causes. Learn more about this topic.