Most women will have probably heard of dry shampoo if they haven’t used it already. For men, it’s still a relatively new idea but should not be overlooked. The purpose of dry shampoo is to keep your hair looking and feeling healthy without stealing away too much time out of your day.
Shampooing your day and washing it in the shower each and everyday can dehydrate your hair and be a little excessive. Dry shampoo helps you avoid that, save you time while giving your hair the same benefits as a regular shampoo. Let’s dive deeper into what dry shampoo is, how it works, and if its the right product for you.
Why Use Dry Shampoo?
Your head is covered with follicles that produce not only hair but also sebum. Sebum is a natural oil that skin produces to keep your hair and scalp soft and moisturized. Although sebum has its purpose and is very important towards the health of your hair and scalp, problems and hair care issues arise when excess amounts of it are produced.
When you’re sweating, spending a lot of time under the heat, constantly exposed to sunlight and touching your hair with dirty hands, excess sebum is produced and begins to make your hair feel and look greasy. Shampooing and washing your hair is the best way to remove this excess sebum and restore your hair back to a natural and healthier state.
Washing your hair and then having to dry consumes a lot of time and labour. Especially when you’re in a rush or need to be somewhere, showering and shampooing your hair constantly isn’t very ideal. That’s why dry shampoo is a healthy and effective alternative.
Dry shampoo uses starch-based active ingredients as well as alcohol that soaks up oil, dirt, and sebum from the hair and scalp, giving your hair more a cleaner and more natural appearance. A lot of dry shampoos also contain a fragrance to help your hair smell fresh every time you apply it and after washes.
Benefits of Dry Shampoo for Different Hair Types
The main benefit of dry shampoo is its convenience. The fact you don’t have to wash out your hair and soak it with water will save you a lot of time. What makes it convenient is that it isn’t just a hair care product that enhances your hair but its an essential one as it cleanses and preserves hair health.
Dry shampoo should be seen as a staple product in your cabinet and not one that enhances your hair’s aesthetic values. Here are the benefits of dry shampoo for different hair types.
- Oily hair – Dry shampoo is mostly used for people who have oily or greasy hair. If you exercise a lot, often outdoors or live in humid conditions, it will help to soak up the oil making your hair look and feel cleaner.
- Normal hair – if your hair isn’t too dry and not too oily either, you can still benefit greatly from dry shampoo. Choose a shampoo that is specifically made for your hair type and that mainly focuses on keeping hair looking and feeling fresh and clean. Keep in mind that if you have brown, black or a darker shade of hair colour, the actual substance in dry shampoo may look like dandruff. You can also purchase a shampoo that’s tailormade for drier hair.
- Curly hair – Dry shampoo can work well with curly hair by keeping it fresh and bouncy without frizzing each strand out. When applying dry shampoo to curly hair, do not comb or brush as the substance may be removed in the process.
How to Apply Dry Shampoo
- Hold the can 15 centimetres away from your scalp and spray a small amount directly into the hair roots.
- Try to cover as much surface area as possible, including the hard sports such as behind the ear and on the upper neck.
- Massage the product into your scalp and all-around your hair. Do this until all of the product is evenly mixed into the hair and leave overnight.
Managing Hair Health
Dry shampoo is an effective and convenient way to keep your hair looking and feeling clean. However, it doesn’t mean that you don’t need to wash it anymore. Dry shampoo is great when your hair is particularly going through a dry or oily phase. It’s also good when you need a quick solution or doesn’t have time to let your hair dry after a shower.
But keep in mind that it isn’t a replacement for regular shampoo. Regular shampoo and thorough washing of your hair are still the most effective and best way to cleanse your hair. Dry shampoo is more of a short term solution for dirty hair while the regular shampoo is more important for maintaining its long term health.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
Although the causes of weight gain are quite obvious, stress can actually pay a large on it. Let’s find out more about stress and weight gain relation here!
Even though chickenpox is not deadly, you need to know how to deal with this disease. Here is a list of foods to eat and avoid if you have chickenpox.
High cholesterol is something that many people around the world are challenged. High cholesterol is often linked with multiple cardiovascular […]
The new coronavirus rapidly spreads across the globe at the moment. It is getting more important than ever to pay attention to our hygiene and health.