Are you struggling to maintain a healthy and youthful complexion? Is your skincare products just not getting it done? Well, microneedling may be something you may want to look into.
- Liposuction: What It is & Side Effects
- How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks?
- All You Need to Know About Bariatric Surgeries
Microneedling is a type of cosmetic procedure that is mainly used for people looking to treat and improve skin conditions such as acne scarring, wrinkles, fine lines, stretch marks, dark sort, pigments issues, and skin texture. But before you consider having this cosmetic procedure done, let’s identify the finer details of what microneedling entails.
What is Microneedling?
The process of microneedling is the insertion of very tiny, fine and short needles to puncture the surface of the skin. The purpose of this treatment is to encourage the skin to produce new collagen and skin tissue to generate a smoother, toned and firm overall complexion.
In theory, the damaged caused by the small needles poking your skin will encourage your body to promote healing agents to repair the skin and produce all the healthy benefits of new skin.
For the best results of microneedling, 4-6 sessions are required and should be spaced out a month apart. If the prospect of hundreds of needles being poked into your face phases you, keep in mind that the needles don’t go any deeper than the top layer of your skin and the only thing you’ll feel is a small prickling sensation.
The Benefits of Microneedling
1. Boosted Collagen Production
Boosted collagen means better overall skin complexion. This helps to prevent skin from wrinkling, sagging, as well as reducing scars. This helps to give a more youthful complexion and is suitable for middle-aged adults.
2. Minimize The Visibility of Acne Scarring
Multiple studies have shown that consistent microneedling treatment can effectively reduce the visibility of acne scars. Microneedling encourages the skin to produce new skin cells and can help to cover up acne scars as well as skin discolouration.
3. Improved Dark Spots And Sun Damage
Just like it does to acne scars, microneedling boosts collagen production and can significantly improve dark spots left from acne scars as well as discolouration caused by sunburn. Microneedling stimulates new and healthy collagen and can improve your overall skin tone. Do keep in mind that you will need consecutive and consistent treatments to see results over time.
4. Makes skincare products more effective
Studies have shown that topical facial products work better when the skin has undergone microneedling treatment. Studies showed that microneedling helped water-based compounds to infiltrate the skin better and to make it more effective as the skin was also able to absorb the topical product more efficiently.
What to do Before and After Treatment
- Before – Do thorough research of what microneedling is. Also, identify the costs of the treatment as well as the out of pocket expenses. This will give you an idea and draw comparisons with other forms of cosmetic treatments. During this process, be sure to get medical advice and research the facilities and clinics that offer microneedling. Try to avoid the home remedy version as it is far less effective and may be wasting your time and money.
- After – Given that you have finally had a session of microneedling, your face will be red and tender, and you may experience swelling or bruising. Let it run its course, and it should fully heal after a week. During this time, treat your face with sensitivity and do not expose dirt, sunlight or harsh cosmetics to it. Use a soothing or cooling gel and use a milder cleanser and moisturizer, so you don’t aggravate the skin.
What Are the Risks?
Results of microneedling have been proved to work and can be a positive cosmetic treatment for those looking to improve their skin condition. On the spectrum, along with other more invasive cosmetic procedures, microneedling is considered to be very low as recovery is relatively fast, and the risk factor is low.
With that being said, there are a few complications that may happen as a result of microneedling. Some patients may experience bruising, swelling, bleeding, scarring and pigmentation problems. This is why it’s important to get medical advice first and to do it with a reputable cosmetic surgeon and practice.
Before considering or undergoing any medical or cosmetic procedure, be sure to get all the advice you need from your doctor. They may also refer you to a dermatologist to have a more detailed look into your skin condition. Always consult with a doctor first as personal health conditions can increase risk factors for cosmetic surgeries. They will also be able to advise you on more suitable and appropriate skincare tips and treatments.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Many people find it difficult to stick to normal, healthy eating habits during Ramadan. Here is a guide to the best way to break the fast.
While fasting the body loses a lot of water in several ways. Read our top tips to know how to prevent dehydration caused by this fluids loss.