For people with sensitive teeth, managing clean, fresh and healthy teeth isn’t always the easiest of tasks. Tooth sensitivity is a common occurrence in people who have cavities, suffer from tooth decay, or children with growing teeth.
- 7 Tips For a Healthy Smile
- Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
- How to Deal with Coffee Stains on Teeth
When you suffer from tooth sensitivity, simply brushing your teeth can cause mild to significant discomfort in your teeth, gums and mouth and can even discourage you from cleaning your teeth thoroughly. Don’t let this become a bad habit and understand the importance of keeping your teeth clean, no matter how sensitive your teeth may be.
Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
You can try these home remedies that can be effective and gentle on your teeth.
1. Green Tea
Another superfood known for its strong anti-inflammatory content, green tea can help with oral health as well. Drinking green tea can help to kill bacteria in your mouth as well as freshen your breath.
It is a great substitute for sweets or fizzy drinks that may be adding bacteria in your mouth and creating cavities.
2. Honey and Warm Water
As honey is an antibacterial agent, it can help to kill bacteria on the teeth and mouth and keep your oral health feeling fresh and clean. It is also an anti-inflammatory and can promote healing, prevent swelling and reduce the sensitivity in your teeth by making it stronger.
Rinse your mouth with warm water and a tablespoon of honey. Then brush as per normal after this step.
Turmeric powder is known for its strong anti-inflammatory properties. Its ability to heal wounds and decrease inflammation is due to a compound it contains called curcumin. When using turmeric powder for oral health, you can massage it into your teeth before washing out, or turning it into a paste by mixing it with water.
After application onto the teeth, let it sit for a minute before rinsing off with warm water and following up with your teeth brushing routine.
4. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract has long been used for people with sensitive teeth as well as newborn babies. Vanilla extract contains pain-relieving and antiseptic properties that can help to ease the discomfort of sensitive teeth.
You can apply treatment through pouring vanilla extract onto a cotton ball and gently pressing it onto your teeth and gums for a few minutes. Repeat the process as needed until irritation and discomfort subsides.
5. Use a Milder or Desensitizing Toothpaste
If your toothpaste is the reasons your teeth feel uncomfortable or irritable when brushing teeth, consider using a milder toothpaste specially designed for sensitive teeth.
You can also desensitize your toothpaste by adding potassium nitrate that can shield nerve endings and block out the pain. Be sure to speak with your dentist and have them recommend it to you.
Preventing Sensitive Teeth
The above tips will help with keeping your teeth clean and fresh without causing irritation or discomfort to your sensitive teeth. However, your objective isn’t to keep sensitive teeth clean; it’s to stop your teeth from feeling overly sensitive so you can go back to regular brushing habits. Here are a few things you can to prevent sensitive teeth.
- Maintain a Standard Level of Good Oral Hygiene – Keeping your teeth clean by being consistent and thoroughly sticking to your teeth cleaning routine is essential. When you keep your teeth strong and healthy, the sensitivity of your teeth will decrease over time.
- Use a Softer Toothbrush and Brush More Gently – Use a toothbrush that is gentle on your teeth and gums and doesn’t cause you discomfort. This is also ideal for children as it makes their toothbrushing experience a lot less intimidating and encourages them to start building a routine.
- Cut Down on Highly Acidic Foods and Beverages – Citrus fruits, fizzy drinks, sugary sweets all have high acidity levels and can damage and burn your enamel. This is the cause of sensitive teeth. Cut down on these foods and your teeth will become less sensitive.
- Regularly Get Your Teeth Looked at by the Dentist – This is probably the most basic of maintaining healthy teeth but is also the most overlooked. If you notice you have sensitive teeth and is causing you problems every time you brush them, speak with your dentist right away. They may be able to identify an underlying issue that may be causing it.
- Prevent Grinding of Your Teeth at Night – Grinding your teeth every night can damage your teeth, make it weaker, and more sensitive in the process. As your subconscious, while doing it, wear a mouthguard.
When to See a Dentist?
All people should be checking up with their dentist at least once a year. Regardless of the condition of your teeth, even if your teeth are looking at their best shape all year round, cavities and tooth decay may appear but are not apparent in your sight.
For people who haven’t checked up with a dentist in over a year, there is likely a tooth decay or cavity somewhere Getting regular checkups with your dentist allows you to keep your teeth in their best shape all year round, and prevents it from ever becoming sensitive.
Go to Okadoc.com or download our mobile app, and choose your preferred method of meeting your Dentist.
With more kids going back to in-person classes this year, with the COVID-19 Delta variant on the rise, this year’s back-to-school won’t be as usual.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Hunger is a natural signal to your body that it needs more food. There are many explanations why you constantly feel hungry, read more to discover them.
Some women have little or no problems during their periods, while others have different menstrual disorders due to many causes. Learn more about this topic.