Bariatric surgeries are a group of medical procedures that target the reduction of fat for people who are very overweight or obese. It can also be used to address other health complications related to excess weight. Bariatric surgeries have always caused quite a stir in the fitness community as it is seen as a shortcut or substitute for exercising or keeping a disciplined diet.
- Dry Skin Face: Common Causes and What to do About it
- Liposuction: What it is & Side Effects
- The Different Types of Dental Implants
The UAE has plenty of options for people looking towards bariatric surgeries and is widely available. With that being said, let’s identify more about what bariatric surgery is and whether it’s something you should seriously consider.
Reasons to Consider Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery is targeted towards reducing the weight of the body by using invasive surgical procedures to remove fat as well as reshaping the body. As opposed to helping people decrease their weight, bariatric surgery can be considered for multiple reasons. Here are the main reasons why people undergo bariatric surgery.
- Difficulty breathing
- Sleep apnea
- Impaired mobility
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
The Different Procedures of Bariatric Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve – probably the most common type of bariatric procedure, the surgeon will remove most of your stomach and leave a very small banana-shaped section on the skin that is closed by staples. The idea of this surgery is to limit the amount of food you consume and decrease your appetite by making you feel fuller quicker. A gastric sleeve surgery will also affect your hormones and metabolism and cannot be reversed once done.
- Gastric Bypass – also called Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, the surgery consists of two parts. Firstly the surgeon will staple your stomach that will create a small pouch in the upper section. After this, the surgeon will cut the small intestine and attaches it to the smaller pouch. Food will then buy pass most of the stomach and the upper part of your small intestine, so your body absorbs fewer calories. Unlike a gastric sleeve surgery, gastric bypass can be surgically reversed but only if medically necessary.
What to Expect After Bariatric Surgery?
After any bariatric procedure, you will need plenty of rest and recovery. Although it depends on the type of surgery you take, a significant amount of time outside of work and commitments need to be taken. You will also be prescribed medicine to get you through.
After bariatric surgery has been done to you, you’ll need to eat simple and easily digestible foods, so your stomach does not get a shock during the first couple of days. Porridge, soups, yoghurts and less solid foods will be preferred. Getting very small exercise around the house will also help with the recovery.
Eventually, you can begin to move a little more as well as gradually eat more solid foods. You will need to speak with your doctor regarding the timeline of the post-recovery process as every person will handle it differently based on their health.
Should You Do It?
The big thing to keep in mind when considering bariatric surgery is the recovery time involved, the limitations of the body after the procedure, as well as the price. Although bariatric surgery is becoming widely available in the UAE, it’s important to consider if the financial and physical commitment is worth it.
Any bariatric surgery is not the ultimate solution to a problem. After the procedure, you need to be able to change your lifestyle, eat and exercise properly. If you are short on cash or can’t afford the downtime, a healthier lifestyle to lose weight is always a better and safer option. If you are unsure how to diet or where to start, speak with your doctor.
Weight Loss Solutions in the UAE
The UAE is beginning to shift in a social aspect towards healthier living, better dieting, exercise, and weight loss solutions. With so much knowledge, resources and facilities such as gyms, recreational parks, healthy food options and medical advice on how to lose and manage body weight, bariatric procedures should be something to be avoided.
Just by knowing your options and different approaches towards losing weight and living healthy, you could save money as well as avoiding the potential risks and side effects of bariatric surgery.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
It’s okay to gain a few extra kilos over the holidays, but don’t let it get out of hand. Here are easy post-holiday detox you can try.
Obesity is one of the most prevalent health complications around the world. Not only is obesity widespread among adults, but […]
Meditation is an exercise that’s commonly overlooked. However, with mental health become a serious problem all over the world, now […]
Even if cold sores aren’t a direct threat to our health; but however, it can be atotal nuisance as it may affect your complexion. Let’s find out more about here!