Whether you work part-time, full time or are a housewife, all mothers need their me time. Raising a child, especially a newborn can be a very demanding task that takes up 24 hours a day, seven days a week. During this time, mothers need to set aside a time for themselves to unwind, relax and focus on themselves.
- Healthy Pre-pregnancy Diet Plan
- Cesarean Delivery vs Normal Delivery
- Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms & Babies
Taking care of a young child requires mothers to sacrifice a lot for their children. Though there isn’t any other way to raise healthy and happy children and bonding with them, a mother’s time to relax and unwind is imperative towards good health.
Symptoms of Stress
With poor time management and little support for young mothers, stress is a very common symptom. Although stress is quite normal and isn’t a direct threat to health, it can stem into bigger mental and physical health issues if left untreated. Symptoms of stress include:
- Loss of motivation
- Changes in behaviour
- Distant in relationships
- Aches and pains in the body
- Rapid heartbeat or chest pains
- Headaches or dizziness
- Easily get colds or flu.
The Importance of ‘Me Time’ for Mothers
Especially for first-time mothers, it’s important to create a balance. Raising a young child and managing your social, professional and home life can be quite the challenge.
Avoiding the above symptoms of stress will help you raise a healthy family while also keeping you at your best physical and mental condition. Once you have this balance, you and those around you can enjoy a better company.
Be sure to tell your partner and the people who support you that you need ‘me time’ and be sure to put everything into a schedule. That way, you can have the peace of mind that your ‘me time’ doesn’t eat into other commitments.
Activities and Leisure During ‘Me Time’
- Spend time with those you love – When mothers don’t have their me time, they can be pulled apart from the people whom they love or want to spend time with. Try to find times where you can catch up with friends or go on a date with your partner. Doing this once every while can improve your mental health.
- Embrace being alone – To the opposite of the above point, being alone can also greatly benefit as you would spend time with loved ones. Sometimes all a woman needs is to be left alone, unbothered and an opportunity to unwind. Most mothers are bombarded with their children, their work and friends. Being relaxed and on your own can be very underrated sometimes as it is the perfect opportunity to detach yourself from any commitments and focus on yourself.
- Spend more time sleeping – Catch up on rest whenever you can. Getting more sleep can also do your great wonders. Try to get extra hours of sleep during the weekend, or perhaps have afternoon naps whenever you get the chance. Getting enough rest will conserve energy as well as restore yourself after a long day.
- Pick up new or old hobbies – Finding a hobby that you can invest your time, interest and dedication into can work as an escape from your life. Whether it be something new or an old hobby you had to drop before family life, learning something new can keep you engaged, motivated and a way for you to unwind.
- Stay fit – Get a good balance of physical activity every day. Whether it’s going to the gym, going for short walks or just doing the garden, physical activity will help you stay fit and help you feel physically better. Exercise will also help you release a hormone called endorphins which can help boost your mood.
If you still feel the symptoms of stress as well as more serious health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and mental health issues while already practising the above steps, see your doctor. If you notice that you can’t find hobbies, strategies or ways to help yourself unwind or create a work-life balance, seek help from a doctor.
Although you can get great advice from your parents or friends, who have experienced what you are going through, getting professional advice from your doctor is a solid way to put you in the right direction.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
Breast cancer is one of the deadliest diseases in the world. Let’s find out about the causes of breast cancer and how you can prevent from getting it
When you buy skincare products, don’t just stuck on its brand. You also need to read the skincare product labels to avoid any breakout.
Children nowadays can easily be exposed to harmful content, including the one with violence. As parents you must make sure your kids stay away from it.
Have you ever felt guilty once you finished your work hours? Are you constantly think about your work even if in your bed time? Maybe you should learn about work separation anxiety here.