Everyone gets a sore throat at some point in their lives. It’s not pleasant, but it is common. Sore throats can range from mild pain to severe pain. Whether it’s a severe medical condition or a minor cold, relieving the discomfort is essential.
- 5 Things Men Need to Get Checked ASAP
- 5 Warning Signs You Have Asthma
- 6 Tips to Prevent Diabetes Type 2
The best way to get rid of a sore throat is to recover from the sickness you have entirely. But the irritation caused by sore throats can make your day difficult by making it difficult to talk, swallow food and sometimes even move your head.
Though there may not be any miracle cure that can take away the pain, there are home remedies that we can use to reduce and relieve the pain and discomfort of sore throats.
Symptoms and Causes of Sore Throat
Though sore throats are very common from young children up to the elderly, preventing it is essential not only to get away from sore throats but also to maintain good health. To treat sore throats, we need to understand its level of severity and identify what symptoms it may be causing. Here is a list of symptoms of sore throats:
- Consistent pain in the throat and difficulty to speak
- Pain worsens when consuming food or drink
- Soreness when moving the neck
- Extreme dryness in the morning
- The red colour in tonsils indicate swelling
- Irritation and itchiness in the throat
- White patches or pus in the tonsils
Here are common reasons why people contract sore throats in the first place:
- Common colds and flu: 90% of the time, people with sore throats often get it from common colds or flu. Fortunately enough, with proper treatment, this isn’t too serious. By letting it run its course, with proper medication and rest, your sore throat will go along with your cold or flu.
- Dry air: This has the potential to ridden moisture from the mouth and throat. This usually occurs in winter when the heater is on or in dry places, often in the summer days. The symptoms of this are often itchy and/or irritating throats.
- Allergic reactions: When the immune system responds to sudden allergic reactions, it will release chemicals causing symptoms, including sore throats, nasal congestion, sneezing, and watery eyes. This most commonly not happens to people who have hay fever, reacting to pollen or dust exposure.
- Smoke and Chemicals: overexposure to smoke or chemicals can cause problems in the nasal area and throat. People who handle cleaning chemicals or are exposed to tobacco smoke are often prone to sore throat symptoms. Pollution and air quality are also common factors.
- Throat or Neck injury: if you stretch incorrectly, yell too much, swallow food or drink too quickly, you can put a strain on your tonsils. And once your tonsils have been infected or injured, throat irritation can occur. Once this happens, you will have to relieve symptoms the same way you would if you contracted a cold or flu.
Ways to Relieve A Sore Throat
- Honey is one of the first household items that people often go for when looking to relieve a sore throat. Honey is known to soothe irritation and heal wounds in the throat. Honey is best consumed when mixed with hot tea, water along with a hint of lemon or peppermint leaf. If it is consumed straight, its sticky texture may even cause more irritation.
- Drink warm fluid. By drinking warm fluid, the throat will moisten and can create instant relief. As dry throats often make it difficult to talk and consume food, by drinking warm fluids such as tea or warm water, you’ll have a better ability to speak and enjoy meals without too much pain. Warm water is specifically better as it soothes and softens the throat better than cold water can.
- Peppermint is known for its ability in soothing sore throats. Peppermint contains menthol, an ingredient that helps to thin mucus and calm down the severity of coughing or throat irritation. Peppermint also has anti-inflammatory properties to combat harmful bacteria from worsening the condition of a sore throat and common colds to promote healing. Peppermint can be consumed through a spray or by adding fresh leaves to your warm drink of choice.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is famous for its antibacterial benefits. Due to its high level of acidity, this helps in killing harmful bacteria in the mouth and speed up the healing process. Try diluting 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with warm water every few hours. If your body does not react well to the level of acidity in vinegar, consult with a doctor before doing so.
- Chamomile Tea. Chamomile Tea is a natural soother for the body and is one of the most popular drinks for medical purposes. It works as an anti-inflammatory to kill harmful bacteria and is also high in antioxidants. Antioxidants help boost the immune system that can assist in not only relieving sore throats but also preventing it.
- Garlic. Garlic also contains antibacterial properties. It contains an organosulfur compound called Allicin, which is known to protect the body and combat viral infections. Numerous studies have concluded that consuming garlic-based supplements consistently during good health can help prevent common colds and other viruses. Adding fresh garlic to your diet is also a way of gaining its antimicrobial properties to prevent and relieve sore throats.
- Lemon & Lime. During sore throats, bacteria in the mouth and throat are the reasons why symptoms persist and can worsen. Consuming drinks and practising remedies involving acidic supplements is essential in combating harmful bacteria. And some of the most natural based foods that have high levels of acidity are lemon & lime. They can be had with tea, a warm drink mixed with honey or on their own. The high level of acid in lemon juice will help kill off harmful bacteria. The vitamins and minerals will also help your body to build up a stronger immune system to fight off colds and viral infections.
The above remedies and ingredients are all household items. They are available to most people and are known to help improve the condition of sore throats. However, if symptoms continue to persist or your condition worsens, a visit to your medical practitioner is the best solution.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
Are you planning to go to the beach this summer? Don’t forget to bring these summer essentials at your bag to protect you from the scorching weather.
Losing weight through exercise and proper diet is the most ideal way if you wish to shed some kilos. But, extreme weight loss is never a good thing.
Early orthodontic treatments for babies are important to do because it is the best time to prevent and put children on course for healthier teeth.
There are many sports out there to try, but if you are trying to burn the most calories off your body to get your ideal weight, you can try these sports.