Testosterone is a hormone that the male body produces and it is so essential for men’s sexual development and stimulating sperm production.
There are many roles that testosterone plays in your body, such as:
- Sex drive
- Building muscles and bone mass
- Sperm production
- Fat distribution
- Red blood cell production.
Levels of Testosterone
Production of testosterone increases during puberty, but it starts to decline after your reach 30 years old. Each year after age 30, the level of testosterone decreases by around 1% a year, and this is normal due to ageing.
- Basic Skincare Routine For Men
- How to Lower Your Risk of Cancer
- All You Need to Know About Testosterone
As we mentioned, testosterone is crucial for many things in your body; this decrease may bring many changes such as physical and emotional. Men will face some side effects of low testosterone or low T, and it’s different for each person.
The average level of testosterone is between 300- 1000 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL), according to the U.S Food and Drug Administration. Low T can be detected by a blood test “serum testosterone test”, and when levels of testosterone fall below 300 (ng/dL) you will be diagnosed with low T.
Side Effects of Low Testosterone
Many side effects are related to the decreasing of testosterone, which includes the following:
- The decrease in sexual drive – Testosterone plays a significant role in men’s sex drive, so when the level of testosterone decreases, so does the sex drive.
- Less erection – Testosterone stimulates receptors in your brain to produce nitric oxide, which is a molecule that helps trigger chemical reactions that are important for an erection. However when you have low testosterone levels, you will have difficulties, and you will have less random erections.
- The decrease in semen volume – Low testosterone levels affect semen production. You will start to notice that you have low T when semen volume is low during ejaculation.
- Fatigue – Low testosterone levels also affect your general wellbeing. Men who have low testosterone levels will notice that their energy levels decrease and will feel fatigued despite sleeping well.
- More body fat – Some men will develop gynecomastia, which is enlargement in breast tissue, because of hormones imbalance between testosterone and estrogen. Hence will result in more body fat.
- Mood swing – Low testosterone levels will affect your emotional health, and you will get mood swings. You might be at risk of depression and lack of focus, but with the right support, you will get through this issue.
- Hair loss – Have you ever noticed that older men are balder? This is normal due to Low T. Testosterone plays a role in hair production, and hair loss might come from low levels of testosterone.
- Loss of muscle and bone mass – Low T will result in loss of muscle and bone mass, and men might be at significant risk of thinning of bone mass or osteoporosis.
- Sleep problems – Men with low testosterone levels reported sleeping fewer hours compared to those who have normal levels of testosterone.
There are many treatment options available to increase your testosterone levels; Go to Okadoc.com or download our mobile app, and choose your preferred method of meeting your Urologist.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
You’ve probably heard of high-intensity interval training (HIIT), but what precisely does it entail and why are so many people talking about it?
Eid al-Adha (Festival of Sacrifice) is marked by the performance of a sacrifice, which is accomplished by slaughtering sheep and giving the meat slices among the poor, needy, and relatives.
The spread and development of vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic herald its near end, but it will not happen overnight. In the meantime, continue to take precautions to protect yourself and others in everyday life and in travel.