Male pattern baldness occurs when hair starts to fall, beginning from the crown of the head. This usually occurs very randomly and suddenly. Hair loss rate and the rapidness of the balding will depend on your own personal condition.
- Basic Skincare Routine For Men
- How to Lower Your Risk of Cancer
- All You Need to Know About Testosterone
In most cases, hair loss and balding is permanent and very rarely will hair grow back naturally. With that being said, it’s important to keep in mind that the leading cause is hormonal as well as the hereditary factor.
Plenty of men in the UAE and around the world will experience hair loss. In this article, we’ll go through the main causes of male pattern baldness as well as things we can consider to overcome the condition.
Every strand of hair on your head has a growth cycle. When male pattern baldness occurs, hair follicles begin to shrink and thinner and more fragile hair will follow. At this stage, the end of the growth cycle will mean no future hair grows again in its place. Other causes of hair loss include:
- Iron deficiency
- Use of medication that may pose side effects
- Excess vitamin A as a result of retinoids drugs
- Health complications including fungal condition or nutritional disorders
Male pattern baldness is also oftentimes due to genetic factors. If you have a family history where men are suffering from baldness, it is very likely for you also to suffer the same symptoms and experience male pattern baldness.
Hereditary factors that cause baldness will not bring any other health side effects. Multiple research studies have also identified that male sex hormones called androgens can affect baldness and hair regrowth. When the body does not produce enough of the hormone, hair loss is likely to occur.
Symptoms of male pattern baldness include:
- Bald patch from the crown of your head
- Hair fall on your pillow, floors, desks, or shower drainage
- Patches in your hair
- Hair easily breaking
- Hair thinning
If you notice any of the symptoms, you can speak with your doctor to identify what the main causes are and actions that you can take to prevent it. It’s good to see the doctor when you notice symptoms of hair loss as it can be an indication of a more serious health concern or maybe a reaction from a medication that you shouldn’t be taking.
Treatments and Techniques to Address Hair Loss
- Change your hairstyle – Depending on the type of hair you have, you can cover bald spots by changing your hairstyle to cover it. You can ask your barber to cut your hair in a way that makes it look fuller and thicker and less revealing for bald spots.
- Wear a headpiece, wig, or hat – Cover your bald spots by using a wig, or hairpiece. You can get many different styles based on what looks best and most natural for you. Alternatively, you can wear a hat instead to cover up your bald spot.
- Hair transplants – This is probably the most invasive, and expensive treatment people take to address hair loss. Hair transplants aim to transplant active hair growth parts of your scalp to the parts of your scalp where hair growth has stopped. Multiple treatments are often required to make hair transplants successful. There are potential side effects of hair transplants, so be sure to speak with your doctor before you consider this option.
- Minoxidil (Rogaine) – this is a topical medication treatment that is applied directly onto the scalp. The medication is designed to stimulate hair follicles and promote hair growth. Results can take up to months to a year to show and can stop affecting as soon as the medication is discontinued. Minoxidil is known to pose potential side effects such as chest pain, rapid heartbeat, swelling on hands more abdomen and ankles as well as breathing difficulties. If you experience any of these side effects, consult your doctor.
There is no exact sure way that male pattern baldness can be prevented. Many commercial treatment products claim to help prevention of hair loss, but there is no guarantee if they will work, especially if baldness is genetic.
There are lifestyle changes you can make, however, to decrease the likeliness of balding, including the management of stress hormones and eating nutritious foods that may boost hair health.
Eating foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, as well as healthy fats and proteins, can help maintain strong and healthy hair and prevent hair loss. Finding techniques to relax and prevent stress hormones can also be considered. Having extra rest, enjoying leisure time with your activities as well as picking up relaxation exercises such as yoga and meditation can help.
Baldness isn’t Exactly a Bad Thing
Hair loss can be a very dreadful thing and can make you go crazy and feel very insecure. This can all be overcome by one thing. Acceptance. Sometimes hair loss can be a genetic factor that is far beyond your control.
Plenty of men in the UAE and all over the world suffer from permanent hair loss and live perfectly normal lives based on the fact that they accept the condition. As soon as you can accept that you are going bald and understand that there’s nothing wrong with it, the sooner you’ll realise it was never a problem in the first place.
Head over to the Okadoc app to immediately book an appointment with your health practitioner.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
While some might consider snacking a good option, others may benefit from having three or fewer meals per day. Discover the guide to healthy snacking.
Shea butter is an effective ingredient known for its high content of fatty acids and vitamins. It has several beauty and medical benefits. Read to know more
You’ve probably heard of high-intensity interval training (HIIT), but what precisely does it entail and why are so many people talking about it?