Is Vaping A Better Alternative To Cigarettes?
During recent years, we have noticed that many smokers have replaced traditional cigarettes with electronic cigarettes, fearing the dangers of the first and their bad smell. But also believing that electronic cigarettes are less harmful to their health and help them quit this harmful habit.
But many studies have confirmed that these beliefs are not entirely correct, as both smoking and vaping – electronic smoking – involves heating and inhaling the resulting substances. In conventional cigarettes, burning tobacco smoke is inhaled, but with a vape (electronic cigarette) the device heats a liquid (called vape juice or e-liquid) until it turns into vapor for smoking.
Smoking or E-cigarettes Are Never Safe
According to studies, we find that smoking is more harmful than vaping. However, this does not mean that the vape is safe.
An electronic cigarette or vape may be less harmful than smoking, as smokers inhale about 7,000 chemicals while vaping likely contains fewer chemicals.
Vaping liquids contain fewer pollutants than cigarettes, however, it is not safe for the following reasons:
- E-cigarettes contain a large dose of nicotine, a substance known to slow the growth of the brains of fetuses, children, and teens.
- The liquid that produces the vapor is dangerous for adults and children if they swallow, inhale, or touch their skin.
- Vape provides many dangerous chemicals including diacetyl, carcinogenic chemicals, heavy metals, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Smoking & Vaping Dangers
Unlike vape, there are years of studies and research that fully support the evidence that smoking is harmful to human health since it causes:
- Damage to every organ in the body
- 90% of all lung cancer deaths
- About 80% of deaths are due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Increased risk of health conditions such as heart disease and stroke
Studies on the long-term side effects of vaping are currently limited. The goal of the invention of vaping was that it would be a safer way for smokers to obtain nicotine.
But most evidence indicates that this is not the case. Vaping can cause:
- Lung damage
- The release of free cells in the body promotes the development of cancer
- Weakness to the immune system
- Brain development delays in fetuses, children, and adolescents
When To See A Doctor?
In general, we recommend against using vaping to stop smoking cigarettes. Alternatively, you can go to the healthy methods recommended by doctors.
To get specialist advice on quitting smoking, head over to our homepage or download our mobile app to choose a preferred method of meeting a general practitioner to redirect you to the specialist you need.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Many people find it difficult to stick to normal, healthy eating habits during Ramadan. Here is a guide to the best way to break the fast.
While fasting the body loses a lot of water in several ways. Read our top tips to know how to prevent dehydration caused by this fluids loss.