What Is Nut Allergy & How To Prevent It?
Nut allergy is one of the most common food allergies in children and adults, and unfortunately, this allergy lasts forever. About 9% of children suffer from tree nut allergy, and only 20% having peanut allergy eventually recover successfully from it.
What Are The Symptoms?
When someone has a nut allergy, their immune system misidentifies nuts as a potentially hazardous material. These compounds, also known as allergens, cause the immune system to react.
Among the most common allergic reactions, we can identify:
- Skin reactions such as redness, rashes, or hives.
- Symptoms related to ENT including stuffy nose, sore throat, and sneezing.
- Digestive disorders
- Breathing problems
What To Do?
Here are some actions that you can do if you are near the nut, and some caveats:
- If you keep nuts in your home, be aware of cross-contamination that occurs in pots and cookware. Example: Make sure that the knife you are using with peanut butter is not used to prepare food for someone with a nut allergy. We recommend that you keep a part of the kitchen utensils intended only for preparing special food for a person who has a nut allergy
- Do not eat foods that you did not prepare by yourself or anything that has an unknown ingredient list. And work on making your meals and snacks, as this will be safer for you.
- Maintain access to Hypoallergenic medicines at all times.
- Use disposable methods (such as paper towels or napkins) to clean surfaces because allergens can remain on sponges or towels.
- Wash your hands well and often. It is one of the most effective ways to protect you from substances that may cause you an allergic reaction.
- Do not use liquid soap and commercial antibacterial wipes to remove peanuts or allergens (such as peanut butter). Antibacterial and water hand sanitizers alone are not effective for removing traces.
- Do not rely on food labels that say “free of” (such as “peanut-free”) on food packaging. Read the entire ingredient list and any precautionary statements such as “it may contain”.
- Don’t just remove the allergen from food and eat it or serve it to someone who suffers from that allergy. For example, don’t remove sesame seeds from a salad and serve them to someone with a sesame allergy
Getting Diagnosis & Treatment
In order to treat allergies, you must first get a diagnosis. An allergist should be consulted if a person suspects they have nut allergies for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Click here to book an appointment with an experienced Allergist online
With more kids going back to in-person classes this year, with the COVID-19 Delta variant on the rise, this year’s back-to-school won’t be as usual.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Recently, the number of monkeypox infections has increased worldwide, making it a source of concern for many individuals for fear of becoming the next global epidemic.
Hunger is a natural signal to your body that it needs more food. There are many explanations why you constantly feel hungry, read more to discover them.
Some women have little or no problems during their periods, while others have different menstrual disorders due to many causes. Learn more about this topic.