What does PCOS mean?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome or PCOS is a hormonal condition that occurs in many women of reproductive age and can affect up to 26% of women worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
PCOS has no clear cause but is primarily caused by genetic factors.
What Are The Symptoms?
- Irregular Periods: Women suffering from PCOS can skip or have fewer periods.
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Acne on the face, chest, and upper back
- Excessive Hair Growth on the face, chin, or other body parts where men normally have hair.
How does PCOS affect a woman’s body?
Hormone imbalances due to PCOS can affect a woman’s health in many ways, and can increase the risk for:
- Metabolic Disorder
- Sleep apnea
Both hormonal changes and symptoms like unwanted hair growth can negatively affect your emotions. Many women end up experiencing depression and anxiety.
How to treat it?
Treatment may be determined by symptoms, age, and intention to become pregnant or not. But in most cases, doctors recommend women who suffer from PCOS to follow a balanced nutritional diet.
- Healthy fats from avocado, coconut, olive oil
- Low fructose fruits such as blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, and grapefruit
- Green leafy vegetables
- Meat, fish & eggs
Foods to Avoid:
- Dairy Products
- Processed Food
- Processed Meats
In addition, some lifestyle changes are also recommended such as regular exercise, stress management, and getting emotional support.
When to see a doctor?
Do you have any concerns about your menstrual periods or you’re experiencing any of the mentioned symptoms?
Go to Okadoc.com or download our mobile app, and choose your preferred method of meeting your Gynecologist.
- Click here to book an In-person consultation appointment
- Or here to schedule a secure Video consultation
- Healthy Ways To Break Your Fast During Ramadan
- Tips To Prevent Dehydration In Ramadan
- What To Eat For Suhoor? Easy And Healthy Ideas
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Many people find it difficult to stick to normal, healthy eating habits during Ramadan. Here is a guide to the best way to break the fast.
While fasting the body loses a lot of water in several ways. Read our top tips to know how to prevent dehydration caused by this fluids loss.