Lactose Intolerance: Definition, Symptoms, and Treatment
Lactose Intolerance is one of the most common food intolerances, as 70% of the world’s population suffer from it.
Unlike other intolerances, food intolerances are not life-threatening. They can, however, be extremely troublesome for those who are affected.
What is Lactose Intolerance?
Lactose intolerance is a digestive condition caused by a lack of ability to digest lactose, the primary carbohydrate present in dairy products. It prohibits the affected people from digesting dairy products. Lactose intolerance is most common among adults.
What Are The Symptoms?
Lactose intolerance symptoms range from mild to extreme, depending on how much lactase the body produces. Symptoms usually occur 30 minutes to 2 hours after consuming dairy products. If you have lactose intolerance, you can experience the following symptoms:
- Gurgling or rumbling sounds in the stomach
Foods To Avoid
People affected with Lactose intolerance should avoid in a first-place consuming dairy products such as milk, yogurt, ice cream… since they contain high levels of Lactase.
Other foods can have some form of dairy as an ingredient may also contain lactose such as:
- Chocolate, biscuits, and cookies
- Processed meats
- Breakfast cereals
- Creamy desserts
What To Eat Instead?
Dairy foods are high in calcium, but they aren’t necessary for good health.
It is still possible to eat a nutritious diet without dairy products. All you have to do now is add other calcium-rich foods to your diet.
Calcium can be present in a number of non-dairy foods, including:
- Several calcium-fortified foods are available, including juices, bread, and plant-based milk such as almond, soy, or oat milk.
- Boned fish, such as sardines or whitebait, are rich in calcium, especially in canned form.
- Plant foods rich in calcium
If you cannot or don’t want to give up on consuming dairy products, you can opt for one of the following alternatives:
- Enzyme Supplements: These are digestive enzymes that come in the form of a pill or chewable tablet. They may include one or a combination of multiple digestive enzymes.
- Probiotics: These are live bacteria that can be present in a variety of foods and supplements. They can be beneficial to one’s wellbeing in a number of ways.
- Prebiotics: These substances are made up of carbohydrates that humans can’t absorb (mostly fiber). This fiber is consumed by the good bacteria in your stomach.
When To See A Doctor?
In case you suspect suffering from Lactose Intolerance, and these tips are not helping, go to Okadoc.com or download our mobile app, and choose your preferred method of meeting your Gastroenterologist.
- Click here to book an In-person consultation appointment
- Or here to schedule a secure Video consultation
With more kids going back to in-person classes this year, with the COVID-19 Delta variant on the rise, this year’s back-to-school won’t be as usual.
From the easiest summer salad recipe to simple desserts, these easy summer recipe ideas will keep your summery breezy.
Do you ever think that spending hours in front of the TV is not a healthy option for spending time? What if we told you that this has several benefits?
Sunburn is a skin burn that occurs if exposed to the sun for too long without precautions. Here are some tips on how to heal sunburn and how to prevent it.
For people who fast in Ramadan, Suhoor is considered as body fuel, this is why it’s important to have a balanced meal. Here is our healthy recipes selection
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)? What causes it? How to detect it? And how to treat it? Learn more about how a billion people are impacted…
You’ve probably heard countless times how working out have many benefits for the whole body and mind. Here is 5 reasons why you should start working out now
Okadoc now offers virtual consultation with trusted doctors and hospitals. Learn more here!
Hunger is a natural signal to your body that it needs more food. There are many explanations why you constantly feel hungry, read more to discover them.
Some women have little or no problems during their periods, while others have different menstrual disorders due to many causes. Learn more about this topic.